Main Economic Activities - Babessi Municipality

Babessi Town

(+237) 670 763 471


Main Economic Activities in Babessi Municipality

Click on the Tabs below:


This is the main economic activity of the Babessi people as it is the main reliable source of income to the inhabitants. It is practiced by 90 % of the population. The remaining 10% are involved in other activities such as: administration, teaching, petty trading etc. The agricultural speculations of the Municipality include:

  • Tuber: colocasia –ibo, colocasia-local, sweet potatoes, irish.
  • Grains: several varieties of maize, several varieties of beans, soja bean, cow peas and rice.
  • Vegetables: plantains, banana, tomatoes, cabbage, celery, bacilli, huckey berry, okra, garden egg, pumpkins, melons, ginger.
  • Cash crops: coffee (arabica and robusta) oil palms, raffia palms.

The tools used for farming are mostly hand tools such as hoes and cutlasses. However, there a few tractors for tilling of rice farms. The production for 2016 is show in the Table below:

Agricultural speculation in the Municipality for 2017

S/N Speculation Production (tons)
1 Arabica coffee 150
2 Robusta coffee 250
3 Pam wine 1500
4 Palm oil 62
5 Cassava 1150
6 Plantains 100
7 Sweet potatoes 1000
8 Colocasia ibo 400
9 Colocasia -local 300
10 Banana 300
11 cabbage 40
12 carrots 15
13 beans 30
14 ginger 80
15 Okro 15
16 Maize 203
17 pepper 15
18 Water melon 450
19 Tomatoes 700
20 Soya beans 100
21 Groundnut 1200
22 Huckle berry 100

Source:  SDD for Agriculture and Rural Development Babessi, 2017.

Livestock and Animal industries

This is the second most important economic activity in the municipality. The livestock bred include: cattle, goats, sheep and fowls. These products are sold both in the local markets and out of the municipality. The table below presents the various livestock species reared and their production.

Livestock production in the Municipality

S/N Type Production (2016 speculations)
1 Cattle 15000
2 Pigs 1750
3 goats 1500
4 sheep 520
5 Fowls (exotic breeds) 5400
6 Rabbits 50
7 Guinea pig 300

Source: SDD MINEPIA Babessi/Council, 2017


This is a very young but growing activity in the Municipality. There are about 30 fish farmers in the Municipality producing tilapia, claria and carp. The Table below presents the production of these types of fishes:

Fish production in the Municipality

S/N Type Production
 1 Tilapia 40,000
 2 Claria 25,000
 3 Carp 20,000

Source: ACTWID-KONGADZEM, estimates from field survey, 2017


There are five local markets and three cattle markets in the Municipality for the sales of food stuff and other basic needs of the community. These markets are functional once every week. During the market day, there is usually an influx of traders, buyers and visitors into the municipality. The Table below shows the distribution of some market infrastructures in each of the markets.

Distribution of infrastructure in the 5 markets of the Council

  Lock-up sheds Open sheds on lease Meat slabs Slaughter slabs Toilets building
Baba 1 66   2 0 01 (with 2 squad holes)
Babessi 39 204 4 01 02 (with 10 squad holes)
Babessi (Mambim Food market) 0 44 0 0 0
Babungo 190 11 4 1 0
Bangolan 0 48 2   1 (with 2 squad holes)
Total 295 307 12 2 4


end faq


Another very important economic activity is handicraft i.e. carving, weaving, embroidery and pottery.

Other employment opportunities include: Petty trading, services from organisations, palm wine tapping, motor bike (Okada) transportation, quarry and sand exploitation, carpentry, hunting, brick lying, tailoring, etc. Quarry mining is one of the self-employment opportunities in the area. The quarries for stones at Ndokebah and Mbinzeh in Babessi and Ngwikang in Baba I and sand pits at Ngwikam, Mambim, Nchimendui, Chui.